Sunday, July 24, 2011

Hot Hot Heat

This week's heat wave was a killer.  It didn't help that I've been sick since last Monday, even going for a catscan a few days ago.  Could my stomach problems be attributed to diverticulitis? Colitis? Ulcers? No one knows for sure.  In the meantime, I decided it was a good idea to turn on the oven and make a Peach Brown-Butter Cobbler to bring over to my brother and sister-in-law's house. 

The peaches didn't seem that ripe but after sauteing them with sugar and lemon juice, they turned pretty sweet. 



Is the butter brown yet?



The flour/sugar/buttermilk mixture is spread on top of the brown butter mixture, then the fruit is put on top. It didn't look right to me, but I'm not an expert and just followed the recipe in the New York Times



The final result was a really great-looking fruit casserole (I had to use a pie plate since I didn't have an 8x8 Pyrex dish).  It was a good choice for a summer dessert and everyone seemed to like it (Anthony had seconds but I'm not bragging...).  And as always, we had a great time at our family Sunday dinner. 



For next week, I'm contemplating a blueberry-picking outing at an orchard, even though I don't really eat fresh blueberries.  It's all for the experience, right?

No comments: