Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Turning Thirty: Tostadas Kind of Taste Like Healthy Nachos

I'm turning thirty years old on July 6th so for the next five weeks, I'm embracing life and trying to do at least one new and/or enjoyable and/or spectacular thing per day. Click here for more Turning Thirty posts.


I've made a creative dinner every night this week; it's really unbelievable that I haven't resorted to my normal meals like giant salads with grilled chicken or steak stir-fry yet.  Tonight's menu: Chicken Fajita Tostadas.

It never occurred to me to bake peppers and onions instead of sauteing them (thank you, Martha Stewart!).  On a cookie sheet, I mixed up peppers, onions, salsa and sweet corn (and later, shredded chicken) and watched as everything quickly toasted and roasted.  Then, I put shredded cheddar on top of corn tortillas and put them in the oven until the cheese was melted and the tortillas brown around the edges. 



The tostadas were delicious, and they seriously tasted like a healthy, and not greasy, version of nachos.  I wonder if it's possible to make mini versions of these, like bite-size open-face tacos.  These are definitely going into the regular dinner rotation.


No comments: