Friday, August 24, 2012

Makeshift Pizza Night


 
I know that I'm not the only one who has come home from work, opened the refrigerator and stared in wondering, "What am I going to make for dinner?"  This happens to me about two nights per week, and last night, instead of making the usual "big salads" with lots of croutons (by the way, big salads always makes me think of Seinfeld!), I assessed the contents of the fridge and created my own concoction.

We always have an abundance of flour tortillas and I still had some fresh purple peppers from this weekend's farmer's market.  With a jar of sauce (I know, I know, homemade is always better but ehh...) and some cheese, a tasty dinner was made very quickly.

The best part about this meal is that you can improvise.  For instance, I thought I had mozzarella but I really only had half a bag of shredded sharp cheddar.  My tortilla pizza was still delicious despite the change-up.  And don't forget to add your favorite toppings.  I only put on onions and peppers but some bacon or mushrooms would have been great too.

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Cover a cookie sheet with aluminum foil and then drizzle olive oil over the foil. 

2. Place two flour tortillas on the cookie sheet.  Cover tops of tortillas with tomato sauce, leaving about half an inch unsauced around the rim. 

3. Generously sprinkle with black pepper, garlic powder, and grated cheese.  If you would like additional toppings, add them now.  Then, cover with shredded cheese. 

4. Bake for 10-12 minutes.  Edges will be brown and crispy, and the cheese will be completely melted. 

Tip: It's a good idea to serve this pizza with a side salad so that the pizzas can cool off while you eat your bowl of leafy greens. This tortilla-tomato sauce concoction heats up like molten lava.

Enjoy! xo



No comments: