Friday, December 14, 2012

Devastation.

 
I know I'm not the only one who finds it near impossible to digest today's horrible shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary in Newtown. This is not far from where we live, not far from where I went to school, and way too close to where Anthony works. It's not the proximity that is haunting me, but rather the pure senselessness of this devastating act. Six adults and twenty children were killed in a really heinous way for no reason and the country is filled with infinite sadness.

There have been more than ten mass shootings in America this year. That is a scary number. Each story makes me more sick; violence is not the answer, especially when you are talking about innocent victims.  The people who were killed this morning, especially the children, were innocent and unsuspecting.  They were cheated of a long life, and their families were cheated too.  Simply, it's unbelievable to think that a fellow human would ruthlessly kill five-year olds.

Enough. I'm no philosopher, nor am I a great thinker by any means, but these killings have to stop.  We all need to love more and respect more and do everything we can so that this never happens again. My thoughts are with everyone in Newtown, especially all of the families affected. And even though people may say I'm too optimistic and possibly too much of a pacifist, I truly pray for peace. xo



Image courtesy of thefancy

No comments: