Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Most Irish Day of the Year



  St. Patrick's Day means something different to everyone.  When I was in college, it was drinking and getting wasted for a full 24 hours.  Now, in my office, it means wearing green and bringing donuts in with shamrock sprinkles.  To me, St. Patrick's Day always means green bagels.

  When I was in elementary school, there was a Lender's Bagels factory three blocks away.  As a treat, they would brings hundreds of free, green bagels to our school on St. Patrick's Day.  Everyone loved these bagels and I remember kids who would wait the entire year for this delivery.  I hated these bagels.  They grossed me out with their flourescent green hue and their rubbery consistency.  They were brought over in large plastic bags and in them, they looked like circles made of play-doh, and they kind of smelled like it too.  Every teacher would bring in butter and peanut butter and we would line up to smear the doughy treat with the topping of our choice.  Adding to my disgust of the bagels themselves was my dismay at the exclusion of cream cheese, the only thing my parents ever put on bagels (today, cream cheese is typically unappealing to me and I use butter on my once-a-year bagel.).  And even though this was only fifteen years ago or so, it seems like it was even longer.  I mean, today a teacher can't even talk about bring peanut butter into a classroom without a student breaking out in hives from a peanut allergy.

  Now that I'm an adult and I work across the street from a Bruegger's Bagels, I stopped in this morning and watched the green bagels being snatched up for office celebrations.  It made me a bit nostalgic for the simpler days when I lived for classroom parties and when my biggest decision was whether to have butter or peanut butter on a rubbery bagel.

  Happy St. Patrick's Day to all--may your beer run green and plentiful tonight!

No comments: