Sunday, November 3, 2013

Bandstand

There was a time many years ago when the start of a new school year and the impending chill of autumn meant one main thing: marching band season had arrived.  I cannot tell you how many hours I spent on my high school's football field practicing for half-time shows. During home games, we all sat in the bleachers until the end of the second quarter when we filed out onto the sidelines in matching blue and red polyester uniforms and white plastic cowboy hats. We all swelled with school spirit.

Performing was always extremely stressful though. Our band director would tape the half-time show every week so that he could show it to us on the following Monday afternoons and critique and criticize us in front of the entire group. It was amazing how just one mistake from one person could mess up the entire formation. But my favorite performances were always the ones based on movie theme songs.  To this day, I have the urge to march in place whenever I hear the Star Wars theme.

Anyway, I really loved this Ohio State half-time show. The choreography is amazing and the band did a wonderful job. It made me miss that bond, albeit temporary, that all one hundred members of my high school band had when we were on that field together working on an intricate marching show for the entire stadium. That said, I can say with complete certainty that I will never miss wearing those scratchy, white highwater pants. xo



Via Hellogiggles 


No comments: