Sunday, February 7, 2010

Wedding Wonderland


(Image from weddingbellsblog.com)

My younger brother is getting married in October so our family has been thrown into wedding preparations.  Some people grow up going to tons of family weddings but we weren't like that.  It wasn't until my early twenties when my friends started getting married (and asking me to be in their wedding parties!) that I started attending weddings annually.  Dan is my only sibling and we are about 2 and 1/2 years apart.  The older we get, the closer we become.  As teens, we had different friends, different styles, different concerns.  Now that we are adults, we are worried about the same things, experience the similar problems and enjoy so many of the same things.  He lives in Boston with his fiancee but we still talk often and I see him when he comes home as well as when I go to visit them every few months.  And it doesn't hurt that I love his fiancee like she is already my sister.  My family has a good track record when it comes to relationships.  My grandparents have been together 60 years, my parents just celebrated their 30th anniversary.  Even though I've been with my boyfriend for almost 6 years, my brother has been with Kristine since they were juniors in high school, almost 8 years.  I can hardly remember a time when she wasn't part of our family--they make the perfect couple. 
 
I'm not wedding-crazy but I love weddings.  The planning and celebrating of a couple's love is so special.  Every wedding is different and it's the personal touches that appeal to me.  My boyfriend and I talk about marriage frequently but neither of us are in a rush.  We live together, we share our lives and a wedding would be an expensive party that we can't afford at this point.  But that doesn't stop me from looking at websites and picking out favors, guestbooks and invitations that I may like in the future.  I love party planning and a wedding is the biggest, baddest party a couple can throw.  I am truly looking forward to when it's time to plan my own but for now, I'm more than content to flip through the thick wedding magazines in the bookstore and marvel at the beautiful cakes and dresses.

This past Monday, we all made the trip to the bridal store and watched Kristine try on wedding dresses.  She had one in mind that she had tried on a few months ago and when she put it on again, it was perfect.  Her sister and I are bridesmaids and we were able to get dresses that night too, knee-length, strapless black and white frocks that are very cute and classy.  I just need to find a black shoe with a short heel but I'm so excited to party it up on October 10th.

I'm sure that this isn't the last time you'll hear about the impending nuptuals but for now, with the dresses purchased and the reception hall booked, there is little to do but wait for Kristine to join our family!  <3

No comments: