Thursday, November 11, 2010

Two Weekends=Two Kinds of Pie

Two weeks ago, I made this pie, courtesy of a Martha Stewart recipe:




I had never made cut-outs for the top crust before but the leaves really add a nice autumn feel to the dessert.  When I made this same recipe last year, I remember it being a little difficult but this time, it was a breeze to make.

Fast forward to last weekend.  My new Bon Appetit magazine was sitting on the coffee table and when I flipped through, a recipe for an apple streusel pie caught my eye (to my dismay, only half of the featured Thanksgiving desserts had accompanying photos.  Why feature a pie and then not show a picture of it, Bon Appetit?!)  Anyway, the recipe looked easy enough.  It did have many steps and lots of ingredients but my love of streusel swayed me and I decided to try it. 

When it was finally done, the pie was delicious, but it took over three hours to make. It was not as easy as I thought it would be!  Each step took forever and since I don't have a food processor, I mixed everything by hand.  The apples were so tender and flavorful (this recipe called for melted butter to be mixed in with the apples before baking).  Next time, I might try a cheddar cheese crust, but I think I'll stick with the extra butter in the apple mixture.  These are only the second and third homemade pies that I've ever made but I'm happy that I kept with it.  There's no telling what dessert I'll try next!

No comments: