Monday, July 11, 2011

Exhilaration, or Lack Thereof



I took a short walk during lunch today and as I neared my office building, a huge group of boys, led by two brave camp counselors, passed me.  They were young, about 6 or 7 years old, and unbelievably jubilant.  As they ran by me, I couldn't help but smile.  They all looked so happy and full of energy, and I tried to remember a time when I felt that happy.  You know the feeling I'm talking about, like when you run so hard and so fast for no reason and then can't stop laughing because of the ridiculousness of the situation. 

Life seems to get in the way of actually living sometimes.  This weekend, I crossed off many things on my to-do list, but I really did very little that I actually wanted to do.  No writing, no reading, no movies, no beach.  All that equals no fun and no joy.  When did I become so dull and worried about everyone but myself?

I attribute this to a build-up of stress.  Over the past few years, things have snowballed, and it seems like I can't see straight lately because I crave a break from everything.  So, how to proceed? I'm determined to add more enjoyable tasks to my daily life, even if it's just buying a coffee in the morning on my way to work, or seeing a movie with Anthony on a random Tuesday night.  And tonight, inspired by the group of boys I saw  today, I'm actually going to push myself to run until my lungs are practically bursting and I'm laughing at myself, and I plan to enjoy every second of it. 



Photo courtesy of weheartit

No comments: