Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Aftermath

On Monday, while Hurricane Sandy's winds battered against the windows, I realized that Anthony had proposed exactly one year ago during that crazy October snowstorm. It was a sweet thing to remember even if we were in a less than ideal situation. We had to evacuate our apartment early Monday morning due to extreme flooding and spent two days at my brother and sister-in-law's place waiting out the storm in safety. Wise words: when authorities tell you that there are going to be twenty foot storm surges after high tide and that you need to evacuate, just leave.

After watching hours and hours of storm coverage, all I can say is that I'm thankful. Thankful that we had a dry, warm place to stay, thankful that there was minimal damage to our home and my parents' house and my grandparents' home. I keep thinking about New York City just a mere distance away. The flooding, the blackouts, the hospital evacuations--the events from the last few days have been terrifying and I'm sending all of my very best thoughts south to New York.

We're lucky that only our parking lot is flooded, and that we only lost our cable and Internet. And we were lucky to just ride the storm out together. xo

 Our parking lot and the street in front of the parking lot

Our street

No comments: