Thursday, October 27, 2011

Adding Some Spice

 Bon Appetit's Texas Beef Brisket Chili


I'm not sure about the average person, but in my kitchen, I have very few spices.  I use a ton of black pepper, and sometimes, I use garlic powder.  I stay away from salt for the most part, and only use some fresh parsley when my grandparents have too much from their garden and make me take some home.

When I see recipes like this one for unbelievable-looking brisket chili, my mouth waters but there are so many ingredients included that I'd have to go out and buy before I could even start to cook.  Would I ever use these spices and condiments ever again?  It's hard to say but I'm pretty sure I won't be adding coriander and cumin to every meal.  I mean, these thyme gougeres look delicious, but how often do people use thyme and what does it taste like?  What if I made an entire batch and hated the herby taste?

I can't be the only one who hasn't been exposed to a huge variety of spices.  I try to cook simply and by doing that, I appreciate the actual taste of the vegetables/pasta/meat that I'm eating.  Lately, I've been thinking that perhaps extra spices only enhance the flavor of food though, and I've been missing out all these years.  I love flavorful and spicy foods when I'm at a restaurant or a friend's house--why have I never experimented in my own kitchen?

What's your favorite thing to add when cooking a meal? And do you think I should expand my spice collection?


Bon Appetit's Thyme Gougeres

No comments: