Wednesday, August 1, 2012

So Far Up

Have you ever been to the top of the Empire State Building? I always wrote it off as a tourist trap, an expensive elevator ride to the top of a very tall building, but after I spent some time up there last week, it's easy to see why it's one of the most popular attractions in New York City.

When my friend and I finally got to the 102nd floor, which is the highest level visitors can access, the view was breathtaking.  When we looked straight ahead, only the bright blue sky and clouds were in front of us.  Below, the taxis and the pedestrians and the rivers looked so small; everything seemed like it was moving in slow-motion.  Even the skyscrapers, which tower above when you walk beside them, looked like your normal, run-of-the-mill buildings.  It was beautiful.

Looking down, I felt small.  And I felt overwhelmingly human, in the best way possible.  We are all such tiny parts of this huge world.  Watching one of the greatest cities in the world from a height of 1,250 feet reminded me of that very quickly.  It's amazing what a difference perspective can make.

Flatiron Building and Madison Square Park

I can't believe how tiny the Statue of Liberty looks

The sky was just crazy gorgeous

No comments: