Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Empire Records Strikes Back


One of my favorite movies, Empire Records, has been on television every single day this month. This weekend, I even watched it twice. But that's nothing compared to the hundreds of times I watched it as a teen and then well into my college years, usually on VHS.  To me, it still holds up today even with the absence of technology throughout the film (I love that cassette tapes actually appear in the background more than once).

Has anyone else ever wondered where this move was supposed to take place? I always thought New Jersey since Lucas rides his motorcycle to Atlantic City late at night with ease, but after a quick Wikipedia search, I learned that Empire Records is supposed to take place in Delaware.  I also found out that that it was widely considered a flop despite the number of the actors that wound up becoming famous after they shot the film.  Apparently, Wikipedia can inform and crush hearts at the same time.

What I love most about Empire Records is the honesty and the camaraderie between the characters. I always wanted a group of friends like that, and a place where you were welcome at any time, whether it was to listen to music or just eat in the back room. And the film is so distinctly 90's, a time when things were simpler: less electronics and more time spent with actual people. There's warmth in the familiarity, and maybe that's why I keep watching it.  I don't think there will ever be a time when I don't covet Liv Tyler's plaid skirt and AJ's shabby man-cardigan. Word. xo

No comments: