Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Another Four Years



My office was closed yesterday and that meant that I was able to sit in front of the television and watch the presidential inauguration for most of the day.  I clearly remember how hopeful I was when I watched Obama being sworn in four years ago; I teared up during those ceremonies, just like I did when he spoke in Chicago the night he won the election in November 2008.  I teared up a little bit yesterday too; I'm still optimistic about our country and President Obama's speech made me feel like he also is optimistic.  I can only hope that the rest of our elected officials feel the same way. 
 
My favorite part of the festivities is when the cameras pan the crowd. There were almost one million people standing in the freezing cold just to show their support, just to be part of this special event. Most could only hear the ceremony through the speakers set up along the National Mall, but they were there listening and they were proud to be there.  It's exciting to be part of history.

The mere fact that we live in a place with such a rich history, a nation where we can elect our representatives and have freedom of speech, reminds me every day that we're all so lucky.  xo

No comments: