Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Welcoming the New Year

I'm happy that today is the first day of 2013. Last year was not great, no matter how positive I tried to be. Thirteen has been lucky for me in the past so I'm going to take advantage of the next twelve months.

In one way, so much happened in 2012.  In another way, not very much happened. I made few advances in my own life, distracted by bad television, mindless internet and selfish people, for which I take full responsibility.  Sometimes, it's impossible not to float around in life.  I tend to worry too much about other people and to focus on things that cannot be changed.

I want to focus my energy on the good things. Thick books and the kindness of friends and long walks and mugs of cocoa. Our wedding in April. Anthony's smile. My grandfather's laugh and my grandmother's hands.  The beach breeze. New York City at night. Warm brownies. Celery hearts. Spur-of-the-moment road trips.  See, there's so much to love when you just remember to look.

I'll admit that I'm partial to year-end roundups as well as Google videos (I love the commercial with the father and daughter; it never fails to make me tear up), but this is a wonderful two-minute compilation of 2012. So many memorable things impacting the world in such a short amount of time.

Best wishes for a wonderful 2013--I think it's going to be a good year. xo

No comments: