Saturday, April 6, 2013

Surprise


I'm on the fence when it comes to surprises. No one has ever thrown me a surprise party, and I've never been to one when the guest of honor wasn't actually already aware that a party was being thrown for him or her.  Surprises are hard in a world where it's nearly impossible to keep secrets.

But yesterday, I was surprised. My office put together a bridal shower-type party for me in our conference room complete with cake, champagne and gifts. Our overhead projector was decorated with streamers and over 30 people showed up. I've been at my current job for about eight years, and needless to say, many of my co-workers are close friends.  It was so touching, and I love how an entire group of people kept the secret for over three weeks.

I spend so much time at my desk set in a corner on the sixth floor of an office building, perhaps more time than I spend even with Anthony.  It's comforting to know that I have a small work family that is truly excited about our wedding, and my life in general outside of the office. This wedding has been a bit difficult to plan, but one of the best parts has been celebrating with supportive friends and family. After all, that's what love is all about.

I only wish I can convince someone to keep these decorations up in our conference room year-round. xo


No comments: