Thursday, December 16, 2010

The Art of Snowflakes



In my parents' house, there is a picture window in the dining room that faces the driveway.  When my brother and I were young, my mother would come up with an idea and we would cut and glue construction paper to make a festive Christmas scene.  It didn't seem to matter that the only people who could see it were our next door neighbors.  It was always a ton of fun and really signalled the start of the holiday season. 

Last weekend, I tried to create decorations for the windows in our apartment.  I thought that intricate snowflakes on vivid paper would be great.  I found this great tutorial on How About Orange, one of my favorite craft sites, and started cutting.  Two hours later, I had 6 ugly, mangled snowflakes and nothing to hang on our windows.

I was puzzled.  What had I done wrong?  Well, first of all, for years, I've been folding circles into quarters or eighths and cutting snowflakes from those.  After reading a bunch of articles, it looks like many people start with squares instead.  Also, I am not using the best kind of scissor so my shapes are dull and I'm not able to make very small cuts to add details.  Now that I have an idea of what I did wrong, I am ready to try again. 

If the snowflakes in this next batch are presentable, I'll post a picture of our living room windows.  Was my family the one who did this? Do you remembering cutting out snowflakes as a kid?  What was your secret?


Photo courtesy of How About Orange

No comments: