Thursday, March 31, 2011

Breakfast for Dinner

After my bout with a horrible stomach bug, I was really hungry but decided to limit what I ate because I didn't think I was ready to consume spicy fajitas or chicken Caesar salad without serious repercussions.  During that time, all I could think about was food: making food, buying food, eating my favorite foods.  Two things I'm currently obsessed with are cheese plates (maybe an all-cheese picnic this weekend?) and Thai food (huge order of pad thai, stat!).  When I was sick, anything sounded better than my actual meals, which consisted of lots of saltines, bread and seltzer.

Tuesday night for dinner, I kept imagining large stacks of steaming pancakes, diner-style.  Figuring that pancakes were basically sweetened bread, I decided that they would be a fine item for dinner and stopped at the store for buttermilk on my way home from work.  It's hard to believe I've never make homemade pancakes before, especially considering how easy the batter was to make.  I do need more practice when it comes to cooking the flapjacks though.

Not quite there...




A little messy...



Perfect!




When I was halfway through the batter, that's when the pancakes started to taste truly great.  They were past the 'golden' stage and actually were quite dark but tasted fresh and fluffy.  And the recipe made so many that we couldn't even finish the whole batch.

I'm kind of into this breakfast for dinner thing.  Perhaps omlettes and home fries next week?

No comments: