Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Classic Movie #1: It's All a Charade


One of my goals for 2011 is to watch one classic movie a month, preferably one that I've never seen before.  'Classic' to me means 1975 or earlier.  So far, I've watched one, but there's still plenty of time to catch up. Charade with Audrey Hepburn and Cary Grant was March's choice.  I really enjoyed this movie and not just because Hepburn and Grant are two of my favorites.  The film is clever and suspenseful without being scary or cliched.  The ending is wonderful and having Paris in the background was a real treat.  The scenes in the Metro were really great.  It kind of made me sad (as often happens) that so many newer movies are far from charming. 

A while ago, I read a thick Audrey Hepburn biography, and a couple of years ago, Anthony and I watched a documentary on Cary Grant.  Knowing details about the lives of the starring actors made my viewing of this movie even better.  I recalled that Cary Grant didn't want to take this role as he thought he was too old to be Hepburn's love interest.  He pulled it off graciously, much better than Fred Astaire did opposite Audrey Hepburn in Funny Face, in my opinion.  Thanks to Netflix for offering a streaming version of Charade.  Any suggestions for the next movie I watch?  I was thinking The Apartment with Shirley MacLaine and Jack Lemmon or An American in Paris with Gene Kelly. 

No comments: