Friday, June 1, 2012

Turning Thirty


I'm turning 30 in about five weeks, not that I'm counting.  To be thirty years old seems daunting, not because I feel old but because it makes me realize that I've wasted a lot of time.  I got a job as soon as I could at age fifteen, I worked through high school and college, and I've been at my current job since I graduated.  Other than getting my Master's degree two years ago (I took night classes part-time), I feel as though I've accomplished very little.  I know that this isn't spectacular in any way but all of those years of working in an office have made my days monotonous. I don't like when people say that they feel like one day rolls into the next, but lately, it's hard to distinguish one day from another.  However, I've decided that it's never too late to make a change and it's important not to forget that.

So here's my plan of action: make every day from now until July 6th different and/or special in some way.  Maybe one day I'll try a new restaurant.  Maybe another night I'll start watching Downton Abbey.  There are hundreds of recipes I want to try (Anthony can attest to this since there are piles of pages ripped out from magazines all over the condo), and dozens of museums to visit.  I'm making a conscious effort to do at least one enjoyable thing per day, and honestly, I'm excited about it.  Nights when I come home from work and zone out in front of the television to Big Bang Theory reruns are a thing of the past, at least for the next month.

To start, today I watched Morning Glory, the movie with Rachel McAdams, Harrison Ford and Diane Keaton.  It was cute and enjoyable, but not great.  The second half was way better than the first half, and I loved the cameo by Morley Safer.  Then tonight, Anthony and I went to my brother and sister-in-law's house for dinner.  It was a good night.  And I think it's going to be a great month, too.


No comments: