Wednesday, May 30, 2012

A Night of Wonder

Last night, I saw Ann Patchett at the New Haven Free Public Library.  Yes, that Ann Patchett.  Simply put, her reading was one of the best I've ever been to.  She was sweet, charming, intelligent and funny.  Actually, she was very funny.  Ms. Patchett spoke for a solid hour about everything from marriage to her new independent bookstore in Nashville, from her writing process to the time she met Rhianna.  And she truly appreciated that we had all turned out on a Tuesday night to hear, which was my favorite part of the night.

I stayed after to have my books signed (yes, I brought two: her new book, State of Wonder, and my favorite book, The Magician's Assistant) and was able to speak with Ms. Patchett for a few minutes.  She took her time at the signing (there were only a few people who actually wanted to talk with her while she signed their books; most people just wanted her signature so they were delegated to the 'express line') and she was more than happy to take pictures and answer questions on a one-on-one basis.

Here I am posing with the great Ann Patchett (please excuse my appearance--I kind of look like I just rolled out of bed but this is merely what happens to me after a stressful day at work).

 
Also, I just love the way she signed The Magician's Assistant:

 
Now, I'm headed off to finish State of Wonder, which has been beyond captivating so far  Has anyone ever attended an Ann Patchett reading? What's the best reading you've ever been to?

No comments: