Monday, May 17, 2010

Hello, Monday!

I feel like I accomplished a lot this weekend.  I was busy the entire time, with everything from running errands to scrubbing the kitchen floor, but unlike other hectic weekends, I actually feel rested.  While I was cleaning, I watched one of my Netflix movies (Margot at the Wedding--definitely an interesting movie with characters that were rather unlikeable but still kept me captivated.  The film was only 90 minutes but felt much longer, which could be a good or a bad thing!) and I read through a ton of old magazines I've been keeping around, tearing out interesting articles for future inspiration. 

My favorite part of the weekend was spent watching one of my favorite television series, Gavin & Stacey.  A lot of people haven't heard of it but it's a British sitcom that ran for three seasons and just ended recently.  A while back when it debuted, I read somewhere that it was hysterical and I put it on our list to check out.  When we finally watched the first season, I was instantaneously in love.  I don't ever remember feeling like this after watching a show.  The episodes are short, maybe 30 minutes, and there are only 7 or 8 episodes per season, so in 3 hours, you can watch a third of the complete series.  I've been patiently waiting for the second season to come out on DVD but Anthony took matters into his own hands and downloaded the rest of the series.  I was so excited and I spent last night watching episodes that were new to me but had aired in Great Britain in 2008!



The basic premise is the journey of two 20-somethings that meet, fall in love, merge their families and get married, all while trying to figure out how to make their relationship work.  Gavin is from Essex, right outside of London, and Stacey is from Barry Island in South Wales so they come from different backgrounds and are always trying to make the relationship work logistically.  The show is co-written by two of the supporting characters, Nessa and Smithy.  The writing is sharp, quick, funny, honest and, if I must be honest, I love how different the humor is from American television shows (No laugh track!  No bodily function jokes!).  These characters are modelled after real people and even in a large ensemble (there are about 8 people that are in every episode), the show never feels bloated and each adds something so special to the final result. 

I'm anxious to watch the last and final season but I know I will be sad when it's over.  I think I will ration the episodes, perhaps watch one a night.  If you ever get the chance, watch an episode or two of Gavin & Stacey. It'll make you wonder what other great shows you are missing on BBC.

No comments: