Thursday, May 13, 2010

So Long, Clark's Dairy


 
Today, it was announced that Clark's Dairy is closing after more than 75 years of business.  Just a short block from my office, Clark's is a diner-like restaurant.  It's casual, the food is decent, the waitresses are Irish and know everyone's name, and the ice cream is delicious.  The place was updated in the 1960's and hasn't been changed since, but it's this type of establishment that makes New Haven feel authentic to me.  The restaurant will truly be missed. 

I'm reminded of one of my favorite movies, You've Got Mail, which is actually a remake of Shop Around the Corner from 1940 with Jimmy Stewart.  Anthony teases me because I have seen this movie hundreds of times and will still stop to watch if it's on basic cable on a Saturday afternoon, but the details of the film ring true.  When Meg Ryan's character has to close her bookstore because of the economy, she's not only sad because this store has been her second home for more than thirty years, but also because she knows something generic will move into her once-sacred space, like a Baby Gap clothing store.  It's hard to forget all of the years of hard work that went into running a business like Clark's Dairy.  And in a few months, the old counters will be torn out and something new will move in.  Hopefully, it won't be a Starbucks. 

Until then, I will make sure to order my favorites from Clark's one last time and make sure to tell Mary, our wonderful regular waitress who always calls us 'love,' that we will miss her come May 30th. 

No comments: