Thursday, September 16, 2010

Monarch Migration



Today, I received this e-mail from one of the attorneys in my office:
Dear West-Facing Window Colleagues: 

In the last hour, I have seen three monarchs float by my window heading south, which leads me to   believe the fall migration has begun (http://www.monarchwatch.org/tagmig/fallmap.htm) and that I need to focus more on my work.  

Regards, COWORKER
As soon as I saw this message, I turned around and looked outside until I saw one too.  For some reason, the sight of this little creature fluttering through the windy sky really touched me.  I wrote back to my colleague:  

I just saw one myself!  Thanks for letting us know, and for giving me a reason to stare out my window for 7 minutes. 
He sent me the perfect response back:
So tiny and so far to go!
He couldn't be more right.  Good luck to all of these beautiful butterflies heading south for the winter and braving the unknown skies ahead.   I'll keep an eye out for you in the spring.

The map that my coworker sent along showing the migration patterns of the monarch butterflies


Image via www.Monarchwatch.org
Cloud photo from weheartit

No comments: