Saturday, January 21, 2012

Survival: Cupcake Edition




Right before the Jeep's brakes stopped working but right after we had a fabulous lunch at Cafe Bonaparte, Anthony and I bought a bunch of cupcakes from both Georgetown Cupcakes and Sprinkles (finally!), which are conveniently located just a few blocks away from one another on M Street in Georgetown.  For me, there was a clear winner, although for Anthony, the decision wasn't so clear-cut.

We went to Sprinkles first, though I have to admit that I couldn't stop myself from making a pitstop in the Paper Source next door.  It was difficult to choose only three flavors, but we went with S'mores (Blake Lively-inspired/created), coconut and lemon.  I thought the cake was fluffy albeit bland, but the frostings were awesome (this is coming from someone who hates frosting).  A big plus was that everything about the place was cheerful, from the employees to the adorable stickers on the brown kraft box.

Georgetown Cupcakes was super crowded and there was no way of knowing where the line started or who had already ordered.  The staff wasn't so cheerful, perhaps due to the amount of people in the small bakery, and I didn't think that the variety was as good as Sprinkles.  We chose a Vanilla Birthday Cake, Chocolate Salted Caramel and Key Lime (there were tons of chocolate choices).  These cupcakes were kind of average for me, although it might be because they were almost completely unrecognizable in the box due to major shifting during car troubles.  I didn't take a picture of them because I was so bummed at how wrecked they were, but now I wish that I had so you can see the poor little things.  For example, I didn't taste the salt in the Chocolate Salted Caramel frosting but perhaps that's because it was smeared against the top of the box.

I know people are hating on cupcakes, but I'm still a fan.  It's so easy to share them or save them for later (Anthony and I cut each one into quarters for extended enjoyment).  Our trips to these two shops made our mini-vacation even sweeter.


No comments: