Thursday, May 23, 2013

Umm, I'm Not a Movie Critic but...

 
We watched Bachelorette tonight and I can't tell you how happy I am that I didn't spend money to see this movie in the theater. I love female comedies, and I truly love funny women. On a good day, I even consider myself to be kind of funny. This movie is not funny. If you can tell me where the humor is in a group of three mean, drug-addled, half-coherent messes who sabotage their friend's wedding because of their own jealousies, I'll force a fake laugh for you.


I can't remember the last movie I've seen that I wanted to turn off after a mere five minutes. I stuck with it though (I'm no quitter) and even though the end wasn't good, it was better than the first half. Shouldn't there be a character or two in a movie with at least one redeeming quality? I'm not talking about purely likable characters, but one that I don't want to strangle would be nice.

I liked Bridesmaids but I don't consider it a true comedy. Kristen Wiig has a legitimate mental breakdown near the end of the movie and because it seemed so real and raw, I don't see how people can laugh and not feel badly. But Bachelorette, in its crudeness and rudeness, left out the comedy and the heart.

Whew, okay, I'm done. Has anyone else seen this movie? I hope I wasn't the only one who was compelled to become a movie critic when the credits started rolling.

P.S. I love you, Kirsten Dunst. Please pick roles you deserve! xo

No comments: