Friday, January 28, 2011

Looking forward to Washington DC

 Aeriel shot of Dupont Circle

I'm finally starting to get excited about my trip to Washington DC for the AWP conference next week.  Even though I'll be in conference rooms listening to writers and professors talk for three full days (can't wait!), the fact that I'm going to be in a city that I love hasn't escaped me.  Even better, I have wonderful friends that live in DC who I'm hoping to see while I'm there. 

In preparation, I've dug out my Metro map and am booking my train tickets.  I'll be on the search this weekend for a new messenger bag to carry around from session to session since mine is almost ten years old and looks like it was attacked by wild dogs.  And Anthony surprised me last week with a brand-new iTouch so that I can keep tabs on my email, etc. while I am away without having to lug my laptop everywhere.  How lovely, right?

I found this round-up of the best hot cocoa places in the Washington Metro area and I can't wait to try some of them.  One of them is kind of close to where I'm going to be too.  Also, writer/blogger Leslie Pietrzyk has a post on places to eat while in town.  The conference schedule keeps looking better and better to me--now, all I need to do is get there. 

Any suggestions for surviving my first AWP conference?  Any favorite Washington DC destinations to share?

No comments: