Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Snow Day #2

You would think that nothing good could come out of a day that forces me to miss work because of a severe ice storm and essentially strand me unexpectedly in my apartment, but it hasn't been all bad.  I've been working from home but still had time to continue the cleaning project I undertook this weekend.  I was also able to book a free room in New York City for a weekend in February using a hotel voucher that is about to expire.  With my Washington DC trip for the AWP Conference in a few weeks and our trip to Savannah on the horizon, I feel like there is much to look forward to. 




Browsing through the New York Times to catch up on articles I've missed, I came across this neat piece on Connecticut restaurants that have been featured on the Food Network's Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives.  I don't regularly watch this show but I've caught more than my share of episodes, and I always want to try the places after Guy Fieri samples their specialty.  Guy Fieri himself is a little too much for me with his pinky rings and bleached hair but he loves food and so do I so I keep watching.  So far, he has visited five places in Connecticut (Anthony and I have already been to a few from before they were featured) and it's amazing how these businesses are effected after appearing on the Food Network.  The customers double and in this economy, most owners consider it a blessing, even though it takes some time to get used to the volume. 

After reading this article, I really want to try a couple of the places mentioned.  I've been meaning to visit Wilson's Holy Smoke BBQ in Fairfield for years, since it is right down the street from where I went to college, but I just haven't made it there yet.  And even though I hate hot dogs, I may take one for the team and try Super Duper Weenie, also in Fairfield, which I know Anthony will love.  Are there any places near you that are awesome holes-in-the-wall that would be perfect on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives?


Photo courtesy of New York Times

No comments: